Sunday 31 July 2011

Bird pics from BHM

I went to BHM quickly after first going to the Seaton hide & Burrow Pit area and seeing NOTHING. Well, I did see a Sparrowhawk and a Kestrel, but not within photographing range so I'm not counting that. Seriously though, where have all the dragonflies gone this year?!? Looking back at last years photos I'd see 15-30 dragonflies at the Seaton reserve area at every visit, without exception. Yet I've seen literally zero this year (I haven't had many visits though so my dipping isn't because my sighting skills are worsening or anything)! There are significantly fewer damselflies this year too. It's the same story by the River Coly as well; I've only seen a couple of female Libellula's (Broad-bodied Chasers) so far this year whereas I'd have normally seen Emporers, Golden Ringed, Southern Hawkers, Migrant Hawkers, Common Darters and Scarce Chasers by now. HMM.
Moving on, here are a few shots taken from Black Hole Marsh late this afternoon/early evening:
Shame I wasn't the other side for this shot!

Little Ringed Plover, first one I've ever seen actually!

Common Sandpiper, quite a smart one I thought

No comments:

Post a Comment