Tuesday 16 August 2011

More from BHM (and Colyton)

I spent some time at BHM yesterday, and again this evening after work. The Little Stint was there on both occasions, but distant as usual. Three Wood Sandpipers were in view yesterday, and two this evening. As I was there I thought I might as well pop over to see the hawk moth caterpillars. At least these aren't as camera shy as birds! Although I needed my macro lens really, but only had my 300mm + 1.4x extender with me.
As I was leaving the house this evening to go to BHM, I spotted a Sparrowhawk thermalling above me, and after watching it for about a minute a Hobby joined it briefly. That's 3 on patch Hobby sightings in the last month or so! I have a very lame shot which I'm not putting up (unless anyone wants proof it's a Hobby. You can just about make out the dark streaks and the 'red trousers'). Here's a shot of the Sparrowhawk. Distant but recognisable:

















This is cropped a lot. The bird was probably 400-500 metres or so away.


Here's some other shots that I've taken over the last two days. Still need to get some closer ones of the Wood Sands and the Little Stint, but they keep staying away from the hide and the peep holes!

Three Oystercatchers

Little Egret



Eyed Hawk moth

Poplar Hawk moth

Poplar Hawk moth

Little Stint

Little Stint

























Little Stint




  
Three Wood Sandpipers

Wood Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper


Robin. Sharp photo, worth clicking on to see intricate feather detail


No comments:

Post a Comment