Friday 11 May 2012

7-12 HOBBIES ?! Including a semi-decent pic...

Okay, so this may have been an off-patch venture, but with my recent Hobby sighting at Black Hole Marsh, and with a lot being seen over Exminster Marshes, I just had to go and have a look. It's really satisfying when you go somewhere, with a specific species in mind to go and see, and then you actually see it. Especially when the first Hobby seen was about 5 mins after leaving the car park and looking over the marsh. I took a few snaps of this bird just as record shots rather than for the purpose of decent pics. Here's one of the pics of it landed (light was bad; the sun was directly behind the bird so I had to wait for the sun to go IN. And needless to say it was then a bit dark. I couldn't win!!)























I then noticed a lot of Hirundine disturbance about half a mile further along the marsh. I put my binoculars up and had a look. Yep, Hobby. Then a 2nd. Then a 3rd, 4th, 5th... at least! All hunting over the same area.
Here's one of the (many) shots of it flying:
























Stunning birds!

2 comments:

  1. Semi-decent pic ? - Too modest Tim...That's a stunning shot!
    I was over Exminster today & had 15 Hobbies over the lagoon at the same time,just fantastic.
    Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy! I quite like the pic, although it would have come out better if there was some sun on it. I can't complain really, I certainly didn't expect to get shots of one that close. I was watching them over the lagoon, but periodically looking behind me, and this one was flying rapidly but pretty low directly over the road by the viewing platform.

      Delete