Tuesday 9 October 2012

Pectoral Sandpiper at Black Hole Marsh, with pics

Like yesterday it was dark and damp by the time I finished work, but a chance of getting better views of the Pec was just too tempting! It proved worthwhile too. The Pec was initially quite distant from island hide, sticking to the far edges of the marsh, but it was flushed by something along with the Green Sand it was near to. At this point I lost it, and Dad was all ready to go to home. So I had one last scan with the bins and s***! It was posing quite nicely on the other side of island hide. I was SURE it wasn't there before so maybe it hid behind some grass briefly before re-appearing. Unfortunately most of the birds on BHM flew up about 5 seconds after I noticed that the Pec was in good view, and the Pec was not an exception. Needless to say when it next landed, it was rather more distant again. Here's a couple of pics. To give you an idea of how dark it was, the general shot settings of (some) of the following images were:
ISO 800
Shutter speed 1/30 sec (about 17x slower than what I ideally needed)
Aperture f/4.0 (wide open)
If you have a vague knowledge of the more technical side of photography then you will appreciate that these shooting conditions were TERRIBLE, if not, then take my word for it!
The distance also made pics tricky, but it is recognisable so I can't be too disappointed considering it's my first Pec!



















The Green Sands were slightly more obliging:


























Now let's hope something else unusual turns up before autumn is completely over!

No comments:

Post a Comment