Monday 6 May 2013

Good day for pics, and good news from a River Coly catch up

As the male Wheatear at Seaton Marshes were rather elusive yesterday evening, I thought I'd give them another go this morning. Unfortunately they didn't hang around after the fall of 15 from yesterday, with me finding exactly zero! I headed over to Black Hole Marsh to see if anything was posing nicely for the camera; I was hoping for Whimbrel, Ringed Plover and/or Dunlin up nice and close but there was nothing of interest at all (there were 3 fly-over Whimbrel but this isn't exactly what I was after). I resorted to scanning the hedges to see if any of the Warblers fancied showing. They didn't, but this pair of Reed Buntings gave me a nice show for 10mins or so. I had to crawl around on the floor to get close sometimes, but it was definitely worth it.
It's worth clicking on all of these to get an enlarged view; especially the (ringed) female in pic #4.





After spending some time with these stunners the morning was gone. As planned, I spent the rest of the day exploring the River Coly to see how the usual breeders are getting on. 2 of the 3 Kingfisher sites are still destroyed and abandoned, but the 3rd has life! It appears one of the Kingfisher pairs managed to rebuild as I saw both the male and female birds flying to and fro with fish, so the eggs must have hatched a good few days ago if the adults are leaving the nest unattended. Exciting stuff! Hopefully we'll get a few more flood free weeks to ensure a successful fledging this year (private locations). I only saw the one Dipper, but it was also to-ing and fro-ing with food, so I guess the eggs are recently hatched and one adult is doing all the work whilst the other sits on the nest. Fingers crossed both pairs succeed!
The only non-bin job pic I took by the Coly was of this rather striking Linnet:


No comments:

Post a Comment