Saturday 5 March 2016

PALLAS'S WARBLER at Portesham

Well I finally caved. I really tried NOT to go and see this bird as it wasn't on patch and also wasn't in Devon, but after seeing that most of the other 'Axe patch' birders had gone to see it I thought I better had as well. Unlike when the others went, it was VERY elusive today, only showing for around 5 minutes in the first 3 or 4 hours. It was flying around the treetops and also hiding near the barns, both very distant from any viewing area. As the afternoon was drawing to a close and the temperature dropped, the Warbler finally came a little closer and I managed a few pics. Hopefully I'll find time to go back; definitely better to go for this bird when it's a cold and dull day - the flies will be lower so the bird will be too! Going on a sunny day proved very difficult indeed, but it was worth it in the end.

This one has to be a contender for the 'March Header Image' for this blog...

Huge crop, but it shows off the feather detail nicely


Nice to get it with a clean background here
A more contextual/environmental pic

2 comments: