Monday 18 April 2016

MONTAGU'S HARRIER stayed for some more pics!!

If you haven't read it yet then the post previous to this one is worth looking at! If you have read it then thanks for coming back and tolerating some more waffle...

EDIT - Sue Smith has just posted some pics and pointed people in the direction of my blog but frankly her pics are at least as good, with one shot of the underside of the Monties being pretty darned spectacular! Her blog is the 'Bicycle Birder' one listed somewhere on the right. It is worth a look...

Now to this post:
Alarms were set for 5am to make sure I was in the hide at Colyford Common at first light to give the best chance at seeing the Monties again. A few other people came and went whilst I was there, assuming that it had gone as it hadn't shown. I decided to stick it out (really flipping cold - frost on the floor in the hide!) and the bird did indeed show at 09:15. I quickly sent texts out and birders flooded in shortly after. I also noticed a Grasshopper Warbler which was very vocal in front of the hide - a couple other patch birders came to see/hear it and connected (08:00 ish). We were later treated to a fantastic scrap between the Monties and a Red Kite, presumably the bird from yesterday; they were at it for a good 10 minutes before a corvid eventually moved the kite away. The Axmouth road was definitely the place to be as the birds flew close in regularly - unfortunately my car is in the garage so I could only move by foot; I didn't particularly fancy running from Colyford over to the Axmouth road... Here's a few pics of the Monties on it's own; it remained very distant most of the time, but was showing for a decent amount of time. Pics of the Red Kite vs Monties battle to follow soon...






No comments:

Post a Comment