Monday 27 March 2017

Swan Goose on Patch...

Steve Waite tweeted a pic of a Swan Goose on Bridge Marsh late morning so I thought I'd go and have a look for it. It's not a bird that would appeal to 'listers' but I was interested anyway. The origins are obviously unknown but interestingly there has been a couple sightings of these in the UK lately, including in Dorset. The Lodmoor bird isn't the same one as they've been seen at the same time. I apologise for the pics; it was taken at long distance and heat shimmer was not conducive of sharp pics unfortunately:




Steve also had a good evening (see his Axe Birding blog linked somewhere on the blog list to the right) with 4 Little Ringed Plover and a Water Pipit on Coly Common. Initially I could only pick out 1 LRP and 3 Pied Wagtail but eventually got all 4 LRP. The best bird eluded me however and we couldn't find the Pipit before dark (Ian Mc and Tim Wright had joined the search by then). I haven't seen a Water Pipit here for a couple of years now. I regret not taking my scope this evening as I might have been able to pick out Steve's bird whilst the light was still okay; was certainly hard work picking out the LRPs with just bins. Steve also had another 2 LRP on Black Hole Marsh in the evening so there are now 6 in the valley here. As the light was really starting to fade Steve sent a message saying a drake and 3 female Goosander on the river so I had a look from Coly Common Hide but couldn't see them as this only shows a small section of the river. Just goes to show how useful a high vantage point is - Steve was watching from Farm Gate along the Axmouth to Boshill Cross road. I'll try again tomorrow in case the Water Pipit is still about. There's a change in the weather on its way too so perhaps something new will drop in; I'm yet to see a House Martin, Swallow or even a Wheatear this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment