Wednesday 29 March 2017

Trio of Geese, a Swallow and a Knot

Firstly, if any of the pics look weird below it's because I'm having to resort to using my Mac because my proper PC had a component failure today (at least the PSU...) and is out of action until I have time to rebuild it!

A couple of messages from Ian Mc this morning had me heading out the door; he'd found a Knot on Black Hole Marsh and also seen the Water Pipit from last night still at Colyford Common. I saw the Knot from Island hide but didn't take pics as it could wait until after seeing the Water Pipit. I managed to dip the Pipit again but did see a Greylag out on Bridge Marsh with the Swan Goose. I also had a VERY close encounter with a helicopter which was checking electricity lines along the marshes. It came as close as perhaps 50ft (yes feet) from me and the downdraft was quite impressive; it was so close I could tell that one of the occupants was using a Dell laptop...





The birds were not impressed by this big, loud & yellow visitor and I didn't see the Knot again after the chopper had flown around for a few minutes. It did however allow me to get a few distant flight shots of the Swan Goose (and the Greylag).

The only other birds of note for me today were the lingering 4 Pintail plus Grey Plover on BHM and a Swallow which flew over BHM shortly after 6pm - my first of the year.

Greylag with Canada Geese

Swan Goose with Canada Geese

Swan Goose with Canada Geese

Swan Goose with Canada Geese

A trio of Goose species! Plus some Wigeon.

Swan Goose

Swan Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment