Wednesday 24 January 2018

Hawfinches in Colyton and a probable Iceland Gull

I've spent most of the last week in bed watching TV; if you want to lose some weight I can thoroughly recommend this illness although the side effects include significant difficulties when it comes to eating & sleeping (averaging about an hour per day)! Generally speaking I shift illnesses pretty quickly but this one is a stubborn git.

In need of some fresh air, I popped out for a couple of short walks on Monday. There were 7+ Hawfinches around the Vicarage in Colyton early afternoon and later on I had what I was pretty sure was an Iceland Gull fly over amongst the flocks heading South out to sea shortly before 16:00, I just wish I'd put the camera up to my eye rather than the binoculars as a pic would have been able to confirm it. My phone was dead at the time so I couldn't send out a 'probable' report so said to Dad who was with me at the time that it'd be interesting to see if one is reported on the Axe the next morning (not that it would necessarily stay that long). Sure enough one was; Ian Mc reported an Iceland Gull from Coronation Corner shortly after 09:30.

Old news now but Ian Mc had a Glaucous Gull last week on 17th. I rushed over as soon as he texted but missed it by a matter of minutes. I'm still yet to see a Glauc...



No comments:

Post a Comment